- This event has passed.
JAZZ ON THE ROAD
June 6, 2017 @ 1:30 pm - 10:00 pm$30
JAZZ ON THE ROAD
“Changing Lives through Music”
Jazz on the Road is an exciting and challenging series of one day workshops and concerts delivered by the Rodger Fox Big Band, featuring 4 leading US jazz musicians at venues across New Zealand in June 2017.
Jazz on the Road is an intensive youth-oriented programme that focuses on the fundamentals of jazz music and its associated business aspects for young musicians.
- The workshops will encourage students who already play jazz to improve, supporting the development of musical skills in young people
- Participants gather to share, develop and challenge their own ideas and abilities. Our stellar faculty of world-renowned musicians, innovators, leaders and thinkers present master classes, lectures, workshops, informal sessions and a concert
- The workshop is open to all young musicians and music educators.
Students must have their own instruments to participate in the programme
Subject areas include jazz rhythms, performance within the band, jazz improvisation, music reality (theory), team building through music, leadership and performance.
The programme exposes students to leading musicians and professionals in education, business and performance.
Jazz on the Road focuses sessions to deliver a half day workshop and performance event with young secondary school musicians around big band and jazz concepts. Through individual workshops, panel discussions and demonstration to the school jazz bands attending, followed by an evening concert students will get to develop their skills and appreciation of what it takes to make great music.
The Rodger Fox Big Band
The 17 members of New Zealand’s acclaimed Rodger Fox Big Band will be accompanied by four leading international jazz musicians. Many of the musicians in the big band hold positions in major teaching institutions including the New Zealand School of Music and many High Schools.
Rodger Fox is New Zealand’s foremost jazz trombonist, big band leader, jazz educator, arranger and producer. He is also the Artistic Director for a number of jazz festivals around the country.
Featured guest artists from the USA
The guest artists add a new dimension and expose the students to different styles of jazz and a different level of mastery.
Dave Weckl: Dave is an American jazz fusion drummer and leader of the Dave Weckl Band. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 2000. Performs with Chick Corea Electric Band, Mike Stern Trio and has featured with Weckl artists such as Paul Simon. Madonna, George Benson, Michel Camilo, Robert Plant, Anthony Jackson and The GRP All-star Big Band. Tony Lindsay – After 20 years as the lead vocalist for the group Santana, Tony has garnered 11 GRAMMY® Awards, traveled on several world tours and recorded on seven CDs: Milagro (1992), Supernatural (1999), Shaman (2002), Ceremony (2003), Food for Thought (2004), Ultimate Santana (2007), and Multi-Dimensional Warrior (2008). He is currently recording his fourth solo CD.
Adam Schroeder – Los Angeles based baritone saxophonist Adam Schroeder, has firmly established his influential voice as a major force in the global jazz community. Recognized as a “Rising Star” on the Baritone Saxophone in Down Beat Magazine’s 59 th Annual Critic’s Poll as well as in the 76th, 79th and 80th Annual Reader’s Poll and the JazzEd Magazine 2014 Readers Poll, A member of the Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band
Alex Sipiagin – Trumpet. Jazz festivals worldwide have seen Alex Sipiagin performing with the likes of Dave Holland, Michael Brecker, the Mingus groups.
Born in Russia, Alex begun studying the trumpet at age 12. In 1990, Alex participated in the International Louis Armstrong Competition sponsored by the Thelonius Monk Institute in Washington D.C. winning top honors and after relocated to the jazz mecca of the world, New York City.
All of the guest artists are experienced in working with high school aged students and bring a wealth of experience to the project.
What will students be doing?
The group of artists will spend time in each city to present educational workshops during the day, followed by a concert at night. The concert will be attended by students as well as the general public.
Giving students and teachers exposure to world-class educators and performers in this way gives them an insight into the level required to perform internationally, as well as a greater understanding of jazz concepts and artistry.
1.30 – 2.15pm
- General introduction.
- Rodger Fox Big Band to open the workshop by performing a swing style chart.
- Discussion will then take place to show what it takes to play in this style of ensemble. Each section of the big band will demonstrate their parts within the arrangement and will then put it all together. Full scores for the musical arrangement will be available to music teachers and the instrument parts will be made available to all students to follow as the Rodger Fox Big Band demonstrate the music.
2.15 – 3.00pm
- Introduction to improvisation
- Improvisation is a key characteristic of jazz and students will be introduced to the concepts to enable them to develop their own skills in this area.
3.00 – 3.15 Transition to individual workshops
- Instrument specific workshops
- Students will have the opportunity to focus on their own instrument and learn the tips and tricks from the professionals
3.15 – 4.15pm
- Individual Workshops
- How to play in a jazz style
- Trumpet / Trombone / Saxophones (Woodwinds) / Vocals / Rhythm Section (Keyboards, Guitar, Bass, Drums)
4.30 – 5.00pm
- Recap on the afternoon workshop and panel discussion
- Students have the chance to ask their burning questions and reflect on what they’ve learned so far.
5.00 – 5.30pm
5.30 – 6.45 pm
Dave Weckl Drum workshop/masterclasses
6.45pm to 8.00pm
Concert featuring all the Artists and the Rodger Fox Big Band
This is where the students and teachers will have the opportunity to hear and see what has been discussed at the workshop in a live situation.
Cost to Students:
(1) FULL PACKAGE: Workshop / Dave Weckl Drum Workshop / Concert – $30.00
(2) Workshop Only – $20.00
(3) Workshop Only – $20.00
Register here (Google Form for Schools’ deal)
Ticketek general public tickets at http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/show.aspx?sh=JAZZGALA17